Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mission Statement

"Mission" would be overstating it quite a bit.  Like most blogs, this is just going to mostly be about things I care about and things that are on my mind.  Music & movie reviews, episode-by-episode and issue-by-issue reviews of my favorite TV shows and comics.  The point is, I used to be a fantastic writer with a lot of opinions and observations and in the last 8 years since I graduated college, a lot of that talent has atrophied.  This blog is just practice and I really don't care whether anyone reads, follows, comments or what-not.  Hopefully it doesn't devolve into a dear diary type of thing filled with my own psychoses, neuroses, regrets and misery.  If it does, please let me know and I'll just delete the whole damn thing.

So anyway, one of the first projects I'm going to work on is an issue-by-issue analysis/review of the X-Men comics.  I'm going to start a re-reading very soon and thought it would be a good idea to throw up some thoughts on each issue as I read, since the whole point of this is just to practice and hone my writing.  I'm starting waaaaay back in 1963 with issue #1 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.  It's been a long time since I read any of these really early issues and I think I've only done it once.  And never in color, as I only had them in the black and white Essentials volumes.  But I've got the X-Men Omnibus vol. 1 on the way and vol. 2 wrapping up the 60's comes out in April, so it's a good time to start.  I'll either race through vol. 1 and be bored with the whole idea before vol. 2 comes out, or it'll be a slog to get through the whole original run and try to come up with anything remotely interesting to say about each other, since I'm not exactly a fan of that era of X-Men comics.  Either way I'm going to try.  So here's what I'll be reading from, starting in a few days, with a beautiful recreation of the #1 cover

3 comments:

  1. Also, I need to keep working on this template. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. any day now with the X-Men, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, so far you've made me laugh with both of your posts. So thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete